Live What I Believe




Jesus said to be careful of the yeast of the Sadducees and Pharisees, which is hypocrisy (Luke 12:1). What is hypocrisy? It is when someone considers themselves to be on a pedestal above others, to speak for God, when they themselves will not lift the burden or hold themselves accountable in the same area. It is preaching one thing but living another. It is having a massive problem in your own life, but ripping others apart for doing that same thing. It is the opposite of what my friend, Jean, taught me years ago. She said any time she would say something about another person, her mother would have her follow it up with one of two phrases. It would go something like this:

"That person is awful!"

"And so am I."

"They think they are so much better than everyone else."

"And so do I."

Sometimes it genuinely is not true, but sometimes it is, ha, ha. It definitely is a good checkpoint.

I think there is a problem where everyone has a "leader" mentality. Jesus taught servitude. "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:3)." "The greatest among you will be your servant (Matthew 20:26-28). It exposes an entitlement mentality that one person "deserves" to have someone give their last penny so another can live in an extravagant home. Try approaching each situation in each day with, "What can I give here?" not "What can I get here?" Instead of, "What should they sacrifice for me?" it is, "What can I sacrifice for them?" That is the heart of Jesus. A person is not defined by what they say they believe. They are defined by what they walk out.

This song is a reflection of these thoughts. I wrote it in 2011, a couple of years before my brain bleed. After the hospital stays and therapy, I was amazed by the line, "I just thank God every day for the second chance He sent my way." I am grateful for a second chance God gave me to more thoroughly "live what I believe," as well.

To listen, click below: